Buy One Give One – The best type of BOGO
When you buy one of these face masks you donate one to a community member who needs one. You can read more about who I am sewing for here.
These masks are made from a double layer of high-quality cotton and feature a filter pocket to put an appropriate filter in (if desired), a nose wire to ensure proper fit, and replaceable ties. A chin dart can be added to improve the fit at the bottom of the mask.
This style of mask was chosen because:
- It is made from two layers of tightly-wove fabric as per Health Canada’s recommendations.
- It fits a wide variety of face sizes! From petite women to large men, this mask fits most.
It is based on the dimensions of a surgical-style mask
- The nose wire provides a closer fit at the bridge of the nose to prevent gaps between your face and the mask.
- There is no centre seam. This seemed important given that’s where all your breathing holes are 😉
- You can add a filter if desired. What can safely be used as a filter is a huge topic of debate! Please be safe and only use what official public health authorities (not YouTube celebrities) recommend.
- The ties are non-elastic jersey (yay for sensitive skin) and replaceable! This is important because they may break down after many hot water washes and trips through the drier (in a delicates bag!!!).
- The mask can be tied around your head, or the ties cut short and looped around your ears.
- The mask is washable! In a delicates bag with hot water and dried in the drier.
***Please limit the maximum number of masks to SIX per order. If your quantity exceeds SIX, only SIX will be sent.
A recent preliminary study out of the University of Chicago has shown evidence that masks made from both cotton + silk may boost protection over masks made from a single type of fabric. The thought is that the silk may add an electrostatic barrier in addition to the mechanical barrier of the cotton. A silk layer (Habotai 8mm) can be added to your mask. For a readable article about this study, visit here.
Care Instructions | No returns or exchanges
For the health and safety of everyone, we are unable to accept returns or exchanges for any reason.
To ensure your safety, wash and thoroughly dry your mask before you wear your mask for the first time.
Wash the mask in hot water in a delicates bag (to prevent the ties from tangling and to keep the nose wire from bending – seriously, it’s a mess), or by hand in hot water with soap. Masks can be dried in the drier (still in the delicates bag!) on normal hot drier temperatures. All of the fabric is prewashed.
Once dried you can iron the mask to get it looking like new again.
Your local public health authorities may have particular recommendations for washing masks. Please make sure you understand those guidelines and follow them above everything else.
Instructions for use
- Wash your hands before putting on!
- Secure a clean and dry mask to your face to cover both your nose and mouth. The pleats in the mask should be expanded so the mask fits over your nose and down to your chin. Bend the nose wire to conform to your nose.
- While wearing a non-medical mask or face covering, it is important to avoid touching your face. If you do touch your mask or face, you have to wash your hands again!
- To remove
- wash your hands!
- un-tie it or removing the loops from your ears.
- Avoid touching the front of the mask when removing it.
- It can be placed in a plastic bag temporarily if you are not at home. Dog poop bags are perfect for this!
- After removing the face-covering wash your hands again!
- Ear Loop Option: If you’d like to use the mask with ear-loops rather than ties, simply knot the ties to size around your ears and cut off the excess.
WARNING: Gaps between the mask and your face, or a loose-fitting mask, will reduce the effectiveness of the mask (by more than 60% in this study!). Once you have the mask on, avoid from touching the mask and your face in order to adjust its fit. Any hand contact with your face, or the mask itself once donned, can increase your risk of contracting or spreading an infectious disease.
Each mask order will come with this pdf, if you are giving masks away to friends and family, please print additional to give to them.
These are non-medical-grade fabric masks. They are not intended for use in medical settings. The gold standard for face masks are medical-grade masks (N95s, surgical masks etc). Fabric masks, like these, are intended to be used only when medical-grade masks are not available and your public health authority has okayed their use (See Health Canada guidelines and CDC guidelines). There is no guarantee that these fabric masks will prevent you from contracting or transmitting a communicable disease.
Use of this mask is intended to be an addition to and not in substitution of all other measures recommended for the prevention of communicable diseases.
For adult use only. Machine wash (hot) and machine dry (high heat) these masks prior to first wear. Wash routinely depending on the frequency of use. Do not microwave. Do not put in the oven.
If unsure, consult your personal physician before wearing.
Please limit the maximum number of masks to SIX per order. If your quantity exceeds SIX, only SIX will be sent.
**** I will only be accepting up to 50 requests at a time to keep fulfillment quicker. I aim to ship masks within 5 business days.